Aegir Co-maintainer Criteria
The Aegir core team is somewhat selective about inviting co-maintainers. This is largely due to the complexity of the project, and the crucial functionality it plays for many of its users.
Below we detail the responsibilities of co-maintainership (apart from just commit rights to git), as well as what criteria we feel are important for new team members. Co-maintainership involves taking responsibility for the project's overall well-being. This includes:
- Participation in the community: issue queues, IRC, community site, etc.
- Technical involvement: bug-fixing, patch testing, new feature development and roadmap/architecture planning, release engineering, etc.
- Maintenance of project infrastructure: debian repos, community and API sites, Jenkins, etc.
- Community outreach: presentations and BoFs at Camps and Cons, blogging, screencasts, etc.
While this isn't an exhaustive list, nor are all these activities required for membership in the core team. We're looking for new team members with regular, productive activity in one or more of the above domains. This essentially boils down to two criteria:
- code/patches submissions (quality over quantity) and
- demonstrated interest in the project.
If you believe that you'd make a good addition to the core team, don't hesitate to contact any of us to discuss it.